In this article, I will show you How to round corners in Illustrator. This simple skill will help you better manipulate shapes to create great designs, especially for icons and logos.
Unfortunately, this handy tool is only available in Adobe Illustrator CC and later versions. You will not be able to use it in CS6 and below.
What you will learn
By the end of this article, you will be able to easily:
- Round all corners of an object
- Round a single corner
- Round multiple corners
- Set the curve type and radius
How to round corners in Illustrator
To round corners in Illustrator, you just need to click and drag live corner widgets using the direct selection tool. The live corner widgets appear on the inner side of an object that is in curves. Below is an example.
How Round all corners of an object
- Convert your letter to outlines by clicking Shift+Control+O on the PC
- Select the object you want to curve using the selection tool or shortcut
- Using the direct selection tool, click on one point and drag it down. All points are automatically selected and curved.
How To Round A Single Corner
If you want to round a single corner, just follow the same process but do not select all points, only the one you want to curve.
Before selecting with the direct selection tool click once on the artboard to deselect everything, then click on the point you want to curve.
A selected point and one that is not selected is the blue outline on the selected one. Drag down to curve it.
How To Round Multiple Corners
To round multiple points but not all, follow the above process but once you select the first Live corner widget, hold down shift and select another one to select both.
After that click and drag down to the curve.
How to set up Corners and Radius
If you want to set a certain type of corner or radius, just double-click on the point.
A pop-up menu comes up. You can set the radius or corner type. Basically can be defined as how far you drag the point on the manual method.
How to round corners in Photoshop
Now that you know how to do it in Illustrator, let us learn how to do it in Photoshop. There are 2 ways you can round corners in Adobe Photoshop. The easiest method is using the modify tool.
Round Corners using Modify tool
- Open Adobe Photoshop
- Go to File>Open and navigate to where your image is saved.
- The image will open in a layer in Photoshop.
- Choose the rectangle tool and draw a rectangle shape on the image.
- Now you need to modify the edges to be curved. Choose the Modify tool and click and drag towards the center.
- Click on the round edge shape layer while holding down the Control Key on PC or Command on MAC. The software makes a selection.
- Duplicate the selection by hitting Control + J to duplicate the selection in a layer.
image credits – Design & Illustration – Envato Tuts+