JPEG is the most common file format in graphic design. In this article, however, we will show you How to Save an Adobe Illustrator File As a PNG and why it is preferable to JPEG.
The first important and obvious reason to go for PNG instead of JPEG is that a PNG file will have a transparent background and will pick the background of the image you place it on.
How to Save an Adobe Illustrator File As a PNG
To save an Illustrator file as a PNG, follow these steps:
- Open the Illustrator file you want to save as a PNG.
- Go to File > Export > Export As.
- In the Export As dialog box, select PNG from the Format drop-down menu.
- Choose a location and name to save the file
- Click on the Export
- Select the options for exporting the PNG, such as resolution, artboard, and more.
- Click on the OK button to finish the export.
How to Save an Adobe Illustrator File As a PNG for Large Files
This process will work well when saving smaller PNG files of around 2000 x 2000 pixels. Anything larger than this will cause lags and sometimes fail to render especially if you intend to use 300 dpi resolution. Most large PNG files are required for merch sites.
For example, a compatible file with Merch by Amazon needs to be at least 4500 x 5400 pixels and 300 dpi resolution which is very large. To save such a large file, follow the below process.
- Open the file you intend to save as PNG
- Make sure the size is correct by clicking Shift>O. The artboard size is displayed on the top bar.
- If not correct, change the values to change the artboard size
- If it is correct, Go to File>Export>Save for Web or Shortcut ALT>SHIFT>CONTROL>S.
- Change the format from JPEG to PNG from the pop-up menu.
- Choose Transparency to have a transparent background.
- Click Save and choose a location and file name to save
After that, your Illustrator file will be saved as a PNG, which is a raster image format that supports transparency and can be used in various web and graphic design projects.
Why is my PNG not Transparent in Illustrator?
There are 2 main reasons that can cause this situation. First of all, make sure that the actual design does not have a background in Illustrator. If it does not have a background, make sure to toggle transparency as you export.
If you fail to do it, you will have a white background PNG.
If you, however, prefer a fully organized video course that will turn you into an Adobe Illustrator professional, just check our tutorials page for the best Illustrator courses we recommend. For more free Adobe Illustrator tutorials just subscribe to our Newsletter for free updates.