In this article, I will show you How to add bleed in illustrator, and why it is important. Before we get into it, it is important to explain what the bleed area is and why it is important.
Sometimes when you print a document that has images or solid colors running up to the edge of the page, a white area is left out when you trim. To solve this problem, you need to add a bleed area on your document before you print. This is How to do it.
Remember to check out our other illustrator How to guides.
- How to copy and paste on illustrator in 3 easy ways
- How to add font to adobe illustrator
- How to change artboard size
How to add bleed in Adobe illustrator
- Go to File> Document Set Up. Short Cut: ALT>CONTROL>P
- A menu dialogue will pop up, under Bleed and Slug set the bleed amount you need. This may vary from document to document. For example 3 mm bleed is perfect for a business card but not for a Hard Case book cover.
- Click Ok. You will notice a red border added outside the artboard size. This is the Bleed area.
- If you can not see the red border, Go to View>Show Guides.
How to add bleed Area to your design
After introducing the bleed to the document you need to add it to your design.
- Set your document artboard size
- Any solid color coming up to the edge should run up to the red bleed line border.
- When saving the document, make sure to include the bleed area in the final output.
- How To Make A Silhouette In Photoshop Step By Step
- How To Remove Background In Photoshop In 3 Easy Methods
- How To Make A Spiral Text Effect In 4 Easy Steps
- How to outline text in Illustrator in 2 easy steps
If you need to hire a freelancer to do it for you, just contact me on Fiverr. Here is my Gig.